Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Creative Money-Saving Idea #1

I found this idea on The Grocery Cart Challenge. I am going to try it, and I hope that it will satisfy my husbands "need" for liquid fabric softener.
"Homemade Dryer Sheets

2 cups of water
1 cup of vinegar
2/3 cups of any hair conditioner

Mix in spray bottle and stir. Don’t shake, this will cause foaming. Soak a cloth rag and ring it out until slightly damp. Then throw it into the dryer with your load of clothes.

This can also be used as a liquid fabric softener in the rinse cycle.

I use dollar store conditioner so this mixture costs me just a bit over a dollar to make. I've been able to get almost 50 loads out of one batch. I keep this stored in a tupperware container by my dryer with the rag already in it so all I have to do is squeeze and add it to the load in the dryer.

Simple and cheap with none of the wax from the store bought sheets that wear your clothes out."

2 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This is awesome. I'm so trying this.

Courtney said...

That's a good idea. We have tried a lot of money saving things, because our student loan payments are astronomical. Do try the eating at home thing- you wouldn't believe how much money you can save by cooking.